What are appetizers to begin with?
Appetizers, hors d’oeuvres, or starters are small dishes served before a meal. They can be served cold, or hot. Starters may be served at the dinner table as a part of the meal. Appetizers or hors d’oeuvres may be served before seating. Besides that they can also be served on it’s own. Popular types of appetizers (hors d”oeuvres) are
- canapes, crostini or bruchetta
- skewers (small) and brochettes (long skewers)
- Antipasto (Italian cuisine)
- Tapas (Spanish cuisine)
- Crudites (Raw veggies with dip)
- Meze (Levantine cuisine)
What is Finger food?
Finger food is used as a synonym for appetizers, but can be any type of dish that is eaten by hand. In fact, in some cuisines, wraps or flat breads are used as a utensil to pick up the food. An example of types of finger food are:
- Sausage rolls
- Chicken wings
As you can see, both of them are similar and this type of catering service is very popular. For once, the menu can be more flexible and catered to your needs. Besides that menus can also easily change according the season, type of event and even budget. And it is as elegant or casual as you like, the choice of dishes is abundant, have a look on Instagram or Pinterest and you can get a good visual idea of what you can serve your guests.
A walking dinner
Instead of having a buffet style catering, you can also serve your guest with a walking dinner. A walking dinner is a complete meal made in small bites, served one after the other. It is a very entertaining idea of serving and always a huge success.
List of appetizer ideas for your party
Even though I rather not list fixed menus, I will list some menu ideas here. So that it is easier for you to see what kind of menus you could serve.
Because this menu has a whole lot of variety, it is an great choice for lots of settings.
- Tuna ceviche
- Spinach tomato fritatta
- Dates with goats cheese
- Prosciutto wrapped pear with arugula and cream cheese
- Fiery chicken meatballs with tomato salsa
- Pork tenderloin and balsamic peaches
- Prawn-chorizo skewers
- Teriyaki beef skewers
- Smoked paprika shrimp guacamole bites
- Roasted veggie skewers
Besides the fact that this menu is full of elegance and style, it also features some classic French and Italian influences,
- Salmon tartar with brioche bread
- Duck rillettes foie gras terrine crostini
- Prosciutto asparagus spears
- Tomato bruchetta salad tarts with fiore di latte
- Mini beef wellingtons
- Beet glazed grilled wild salmon skewers
- Mini quiche Lorraine
- Chicken veloute with smoked salmon
Since all good thing come in three, next menu will give you some more variety you can serve at your cocktail or dinner party. Besides that it could also be a good menu for a bbq party. Maybe something for next summer :).
- Ratatouille Parmesan crust tarts
- Lamb kebabs with sun dried tomato pesto
- Pulled pork sliders with barbeque sauce
- Chicken drumsticks with ginger and soy sauce marinade
- Truffled potato skewers with Beemster cheese
- Antipasto skewers
- Dates with goat cheese and ham
- prawn apple salad tarts
More info and catering ideas
Even though there are many more recipes on my repertoire, I hope you like this selection. In case you have questions about these items, use the comment field below. Of course you can also contact me, if you would like to see how I could help you with your party. Further you will find handy tips in this blog post, how to cook for a crowd. Find more interesting reads on my blog page.
About the Author
Besides writing blogs, I run a personal chef and catering service in Vancouver BC. Since 2013 I have been cooking up a storm and try to entertain at the same time.
In case you would like to connect with me, we could see each other on many platforms :).
So look up Chef Lekker and follow us on your favourite one!